Notable World Records on the Mountains this Spring 2011:
- Apa Sherpa, reached the summit of Mt. Everest for the 21st time – a new world record on 11 May, 2011.
- Phurba Tashi Sherpa with 28 ascents to 8000m peaks is now the person with the most number of ascents to the top of 8000m peaks. He has climbed Mt. Everest 19 Times (Second to Apa Sherpa), Mt. Cho Oyu 5 times, Mt. Manaslu 2 times, Mt. Shishapagma once and Mt.Lhotse once.
- Swiss Speed Climber Ueli Steck became the record holder for fastest ascent of Mt. Shishapangma (10hrs 30mins ). He reached the Summit of Mt. Shishapangma (8027m) via the South Face Route on 17th April.
- American Charlie Wittmack, reached the top of Mt. Everest and became the first person to complete the World Triathlon– an 8,000-mile race from the English Channel to Mount Everest, which the BBC has called “the toughest human endurance event ever conceived”. He accomplished his trip to Nepal by swimming over the Thames river in England & the English Channel and cycling all the way to Tibet from Calais in France.
- Chhurim Dolma Sherpa (27yrs) of Nepal became the first Woman to summit Mt. Everest twice in one climbing season (12 May and 19 May).
- Carlos Soria (72yrs) of Spain is the oldest person to summit Mt. Lhotse. He reached the top of Mt. Lhose on 21 May.
- Arjun Vajpai (17 yrs 11mths) from India became the youngest mountaineer to summit Mt. Lhotse.